String Flow Cello samples a technique string players use, in which they quickly roll the bow across the strings to create an energetic, chordal texture.
There are 2 ways to play the instrument.
The first way is simple: just choose what type of chord you want, what key to be in, and then play on the white keys. Whatever you play will pick a harmony which will fit into whatever key you've chosen. It's kind of like the "Harmonize" factory scripts in Kontakt, except that in this case, all of the harmonies had to be manually recorded!
The second way to play requires more knowledge of the instrument, and is more flexible. If you play a chord that has been recorded, the instrument will play that chord on viola.
The midi clips which come with the instrument demonstrate which chords work.
Works with the FULL version of Kontakt 5.8.1 and Kontakt 6. Do not purchase this if you only have Kontakt Player.
- New Feature - Playing a key switch that changes either the inversion or the voicing of a chord, the chords change right away
- Sample improvements
- Minor bug fixes
- The interface reacts to notes played, displaying what the music notation would look like to the player, and also showing which voicing, inversion, and key the chord is in. This could be an educational for those looking to write music for live musicians.
- Comes with a collection of midi clips to introduce the instrument. These include a collection of short progressions, and examples of all the possible voicings.
- Each chord was played for 4 measures (about 9 seconds). Loops are enabled for all samples.
- Automatically tempo-syncs to project tempo. The samples were recorded at 100BPM. 85 - 160BPM sounds good, and the optimal tempo is 120BPM.
- Chords are organized into 4 different types of voicings. Closed spacing, open spacing, 7th chords, and open 5ths.
- The closed spacing chords were recorded in both major and minor, and in all 3 inversions. The 7th chords include a dominant 7th, minor 7th, and major 7th voicing.
- Except for the open 5ths voicings, each chord recorded at 2 velocity layers, and each velocity layer has a normale version and a ponticello version, which can be crossfaded between using the modwheel. This is a good way to add motion to the sound.
- The louder velocity layer has rubato which adds contrast, and brings out the bassline.
Nice addition to the original string flow
I bought the original string flow and then a month later this updated version came out; thankfully it was available at a discount to purchasers of the original. The new version sounds slightly different (the cello was recorded in a new session) but most importantly it has more features. The ability to play fifths and sevenths was what drew me to this and it works very effectively. It also works very nicely at a variety of tempos. There are still qualities I like in the old string flow so will continue to use both. Although it is not something that will get used extensively, as it can make tracks sound very similar, it does work very well when used subtly.
Beautifully envisioned & executed
A niche library but in a good way - perfect for adding string textures & movement to a piece.
very cool little instrument. easy to use aand beautiful tone! well done!
Really cool cello runs
I found this to be an awesome companion library when doing a recent scoring job. It sat nicely in with the other string library I was using and responded well to reverb.
String Flow Cello
My Favorite of the string flow instruments, if you can only choose one, i recommend the cello.
Ben makes some of the best boutique libraries, extremely well priced, unique and useful. I highly recommend the entire string flow as a bundle as they work together to give you the full pallet of sounds.
One trick pony, but man does it shine!
This is not your bread and better cello library, this isn't your emotional solo cello library either, it has a very limited but unique use that I have not heard replicated by any other sample library currently on the market. I am blown away by the sound, the scripting, Ben has done it again - he is a wizard!
Demo - Spring Flow
This track features String Flow cello throughout, along with ArtVista's Supergrand, DAT Dream Guitars Vol 2, LABS Pedal Pads, UVI Bassysm J, and 'The Bandoneon' by the talented Film Composer & Orchestrator Guareschi.