Version: Kontakt 5.5.2 / WAV / V2
Ever-shifting Theremin and Ondioline Drone Voices
Download Method: Kontakt Hub
The Resonator is a unique sound, reminiscent of pioneering, pre-1950, electronic instruments like the Ondioline and the Theremin.
Unlike those monophonic instruments, this Kontakt Kit has, in addition to the melody oscillator, a set of "resonators", which produce an ever-shifting set of drone voices, sort of like the oscillator version of sympathetic resonator strings on a sitar or a viola d'amore.
This updated version gives you choice of sine or "complex" waveformm which has some harmonic content (soundcloud demo uses sine resonator waves & "spatious" reverb for first half and complex and thunder for 2nd half)
It also gives you a choice of convolution reverbs
Finally V2 now has an enhanced and smoother-sounding single-cycle version of the pulse waveform for the melody notes.
It works like this: You play a melody with the right hand, and hold down a chord with the left. As you are playing the melody, different notes of the chord will be brought out as they resonate with whatever melody notes you are holding in the left hand. The left hand notes do not sound when you play them, rather they fade in an out on their own in resonance with whatever melody you are playing with the right.
All this is accomplished with a custom script for Kontakt, not available anywhere else - its like a dedicated VST instrument.
The result is a rich texture that constantly shifts with different notes coming to the fore, all in a gorgeous space provided by the Kontakt convolution reverb.
There are extensive real-time controls: the control panel allows you to tailor the sound to taste, with controls for the vibrato, resonator volume, the glide-time, the keyboard split and more (see screenshot).
The mod wheel fades between two classic waveforms (pulse and sine).
Portamento (glide) is provided with variable glide time and a full-time or a legato-only mode.
New in Mark II: completely redesigned GUI, choice of sine or complex resonator waveform; choice of convolution reverb algorithms, new smoother single-cycle pulse waveform.
Compatible with Kontakt 5.5.2 or higher
- Vibrato: Sets the amount of Vibrato, also controlled by Midi CC 71 and by keyboard channel pressure
- Glide: Controls the glide (portamento) time, also controlled by Midi CC 74
- Res_Vol: Controls the volume of the resonator notes, also controlledby Midi CC 16
- Res_Time: Controls the fade-in/fade-out time of the resonator notes
- Delay: Controls the amount of the built-in delay
- Reverb: Controls the amount of the built-in reverb
- Glide: Linear/Logarithic - choose either Linear (longer glide time for larger intervals) or Logarithmic (same glide time regardles of size of interval)
- Glide: Legato/Full Time: Legato glides only between notes played legato (overlapping), while Full Time glides between any note and the next
- Split: Selects the split note between melody and resonator notes. Notes above the split note are melody notes, ones below are resonator notes
- Octave: Transpose melody notes up or down by one octave
- Res Wave: Choose the waveform for the resonator notes, either pure sine-wave or a more complex, harmonic-rich wave
- Reverb menu: Choose the type of Convolution Reverb
> Thunder - very long like distant thunder
> Spatious - a long spatious reverb
> Ringy - a metalling, ringy reverb
- Panic: Hitting this button kills all playing notes, both melody and resonator
This instrument is too much fun, and makes a convincing theremin! I love the chord resonance feature. It brings out tones resonant to specific chords if you play chords in the lower part of the keyboard; It's got me playing full songs on just this instrument solo! You can push all the parameters around and it still sound convincing.
quite a useful little instrument !
unique thermin recreation
I trully love this little beauty, ive been searching for a thermin sound for ages until this popped up now i can get that sounded i wanted,
Cool and Simple
This is a nice but simple sounding Theremin for Kontakt. Cool and well made.
Interesting odd ball
Interesting odd ball
Another arrow in a sound designers quiver
Yup! Sound design must have... tweak, mangle, mess up. One of many tools that make a sound designers tools box complete.
Best Theremin I can find
Awesome Theremin sounds out of this. V good value for money, can't go wrong.
From the Dawn of the Analog
SOUND QUALITY: 5
EASY OF USE: 5
VALUE FOR MONEY: 5
CONCLUSION: A nice old synthesis emulation with a lot of features and possibilities. And very cheap.
Smoother than v1 which I previously purchased from Sampleism. Good to have both imho.