Version: Kontakt 5.5.2 / NCW / 0.6 GB / V1
Resona is aimed at cinematic Ambient and/or Horror music.
£24.00 + VAT
Download Method: Kontakt Hub
Resona is an essential toolkit for Ambient, Horror and cinematic music in general. The library includes Bells, Glass, Mallets, Ambiences, Arps, a huge diversity of Pads and many more. As a bonus you even get the possibility to implement your own samples if you’d like to.
If you're unsure whether this is right for you, here's a short example of what's included in Resona
- 24 Instrument Patches (.nki)
- 13 Multis (.nkm)
- 279 samples in 24 bit / 48 khz, ncw compressed
- Some Sounds got up to 5 dynamic layers (Glasses, Mallets etc.)
- 27 custom Impulse Responses
- Sampled Instruments: Small Music Box, Bells, Wine Glass played with different mallets, Kalimba, Marimba, Strings, Voices, Woodwinds, Synths.
- Essential effects like: Delay, Reverb, Lofi, Phaser, Chorus.
- Volume slider for each instrument to easily morph between the patches via midi CC automation.
- The Patches labeled “Sampler Mode” use a randomization technique, which makes the sound more organic, but also uses more RAM.
- An Arpeggiator has been programmed for the Arps patches.
- Most Patches got a low pass filter mapped to Mod Wheel.
Core of the Library
The Intention of this library was to sample two small music boxes, which you hear in the “Melodies” patches. After it worked out well I decided to include more Bell and/ or Mallet like sounds and fill the sound space behind them with Pads and Ambiences. So I crafted the Pads and Ambiences from Synths, real instrument recordings and a hybrid version of both to give the whole library a lot more depth. You don’t get a huge array of patches, because you don’t need to. You can simply select the sound of your choice and don’t have to click through all the patches.
The Multis are just some combinations, that came into my mind, but the possibilities are nearly endless. Feel free to create your own. And because every patch has a individual Volume slider, you can even morph between two or more sounds on the fly. (Using the default CC7 would just rise the Volume of all instruments currently loaded into the rack)
The Sounds were meant for instant inspiration so you can just play them right out of the box or take your time and tweak the sound until they fit your taste.
The Patch Creator gives you the ability to use your own samples and take advantage of the GUI. I’ll explain how to use it.
- First we have to resave a plane Patch Creator patch. So decide if you want to create it in Sampler Mode or DFD. [Again: Sampler Mode sounds more natural, but DFD is lower on system ressources]
- Load the Patch out of the “Patch Creator” folder.
- Click on the wrench in the left top of the instrument and then onto the icon “Files” next to options.
- Now click “save edited instrument […] as” and type in the name you want to give your instrument. Be sure to keep “patch + samples” checked. (If you accidentally overwrite the plane Patch, don’t worry, you have a copy of it within the “Patch Creator[Backup]” folder) * After that exit Kontakt and open up the sample folder of your new instrument. * Now you can simply exchange the placeholders with your custom samples. You only have to keep the naming. For example: “resona_custom_001”. * If you open up your Patch you can additionally set Root Key, Fine Tune, Attack and Decay for each of the five samples individually. [A Root Key Chart is included if you’re not familiar with midi numbers] Done! [You can repeat this as often as you want to]
More features than advertised
Obviously minimalistic interface but what is not obvious or mentioned is that almost all of the individual nki patches act like banks---each have their own set of presets, so there are over 150 factory presets that come with Resona: Ambiences & Pads (7 nki, 67 presets); Arps (3/6 nki, 32 presets); Bells & Mallets (6 nki, 27 presets); Melodies (3 nki, 3*10 presets); Multis (13 nkm). The Ambience&Pads folder has some nice sounds (Crying Strings is a favorite), and some of the nki patches add an ADR envelope which appears to remain as set for all of the individual presets within that nki. For the Arp instruments, additional envelope (ADR), arpeggiator types (16), and some typical adjustments (e.g., number of steps, "swing") are available. Always nice: Odd steps are allowed (not just powers of two); the power of this simple option should not be understated. Not so nice: the arpeggiator is only available for nki patches in the Arps folder; it would have been nice if this tab was available at all times in Resona. The Bells&Mallets folder has nice, crisp, tuned-percussion instruments. The Melodies folder nki instruments add two selectable layers and a morphing feature to the interface. The morphing is done with level sliders between the the two level samples and their reverses, all four available and adjustable simultaneously. This was interesting and fun to play around with. There is a "Patch Creator" feature/folder. If you intend to use this, copy the information from the the bottom of the Resona page on the KontaktHub website (the only explanation I could find). Some of the patches are labeled "(Sampler Mode)" and are supposed to exhibit randomization features. I have to investigate this further because the randomization wasn't immediately apparent to me. Nice sounds, both ambient and melodic. The samples themselves are long. Resona covers a variety of bases, maybe not as comprehensively as other medium or higher-priced packages, but with a good, basic, useful sampling of sounds. It's hard to gauge the overall value because there is such a flood of "cinematic" and "ambient" libraries/instruments on the market and being offered at discount prices. Note that this one does have some useful, pitched, melodic content. If the Arp tab and the morphing features were available at all times, this might even be the one to beat in its price range.
Great product which gives very rich ambient textures. Many are similar in sound and are dark in nature but was exactly what I was looking for. Used a few ideas already on a new film score.
Thank you Stan :-), what great possibilities behind the curtain !!!!
Hello Stan, thanks a lot for your great review, otherwise I just would not have tried just because of very small info about this one, was more then helpful :-)). I agree absolutely, its marvellous whats behind this one. Lots of easy to use soundscaping possibilities threw the combination of nki-presets (I would call them "soundenvironments") and then the included what you call "presets", I maybe would call them "soundsets" inside the "soundenvironments". The marvellous thing is that you dont even have to know really whats going on in the background you can just combine and use the offered shaping possibilities for that combination to easily get a great sound. I really love the "evolve" options what leads me to a hint: I have bought this together with mountain and would recommend this to evrybody, the pads from mountain which offer same general concept (special soundenvironments called nki-presets and soundsets too choose from) fit perfectly with the sounds of resona, both together offer nearly endless production possibilities for some really great soundscapes which you can easyly create as you like.
Great Soundscapes and Bell sounds
What I personally love about this library after playing with it is the versatility of it. You dont only get Pads and Ambiences, but as well Bells and different Music Box sounds just to mention some. I havent actually used the patch creator option so i cant say anything about it, but seems like a nice possibility. Some of the pads are similar, but I love most of the sounds already, especially the "crying strings", they're just beautiful. Great for underscores or just for creating an individual soundscape, need this for a new score! Can only recommend it!
Cool sounding instrument!
THOSE sounds from THAT synthesiser… it’s the 80s in a box!View Product £8.00
Big Fish Audio
A collection of original instruments and textures suitable for all ambient musicView Product £150.00
Ancient ERA Persia
A collection of sounds from forgotten places of the middle eastView Product £184.00
Aeris: Hybrid Choir Designer
Superior Choirs, Solo Singers and Sound DesignView Product £225.90
Chamber Orchestra 2 - Professional Edition
Complete Orchestral PackageView Product £177.00
Mini Magic - Eclectic Electric Vol 2
A collection of rare and sought after synth soundsView Product £7.00
Ethno World 6 Voices
The ultimate Sample-library for ethnic Voices from all over the WorldView Product £189.00