Version: Kontakt 5.6 / NCW V1
A virtual instrument that captures the heart and soul of B-Movie cinema
£72.50 + VAT
Download Method: Big Fish
Big Fish Audio and Funk/Soul Productions are proud to present Grindhouse, a cinematic VI For Kontakt 5.6 and above.
Grindhouse is a collection of edgy, lo-fi, and retro-cool multi-sampled instruments with loads of character and a unique 1970s exploitation movie vibe. Our goal in creating Grindhouse was to produce a virtual instrument that had the same feel as those old exploitation films: a VI that is so bad, it’s good. This library is a collection of instruments that sound like they were sampled from old vinyl LPs and recorded off a bad copy of an obscure 1970s exploitation film.
The instruments that we sampled for Grindhouse were chosen because they have a truly distinctive sound and character. We used old instruments, cheap instruments, and instruments that most sensible people would have probably taken to a music store for repairs, or thrown in the trash (in fact, at least two of the instruments in this product were recovered from a town dump).
We watched a lot of old exploitation films from the 1970s, and set out to replicate some of the vocal and instrument sounds that were used in those films. Take a look at the patch list below and you’ll find such B-Movie soundtrack classics as Spaghetti Western Electric Guitar, Melodramatic String Section, 1960s Cliche Jungle Movie Drums, several patches of audio clips taken from actual (public domain) Grindhouse flicks, and lots more.
Grindhouse is designed for use in all sorts of Indie-style productions, or any project that calls for a lo-fi or “home-made” vibe. Whether you’re a songwriter, a producer, or a composer working on TV, film, or video games, Grindhouse can be used to add grit and character to your music. You can use it to create loops, tracks, or entire songs that have a funky, crate-digger type of vibe. And of course, Grindhouse is ideal for scoring your very own retro-style Kung Fu, Spaghetti Western, Biker Gang, Girl Gang, Women in Prison, Pinky Violence, Low-Budget Horror, Italian Crime, Japanese Yakuza, or Blaxploitation B-movie soundtrack.
Just in case our instruments don’t sound bad enough for your tastes, we included an easy-to-use Graphical User Interface (GUI) that lets you degrade the sounds even further. Here’s a quick overview of the GUI controls:
DISTORTION - adds simulated tube-amp distortion
BASS - a bipolar control used to increase or decrease the amount of bass
TREBLE - a bipolar control used to increase or decrease the amount of treble
HI-CUT - reduces the high end, making instruments sound dull and slightly muffled.
LO-CUT - a filter that reduces the low end, making instruments sound thin and tinny.
REVERB - controls the amount of reverb
Drop-Down Menu #1 - provides a selection of 10 high-quality convolution Reverbs
TAPE SAT - adds analog tape-style compression and limiting, fattens-up sounds
DELAY - controls the number and loudness of Delays (see below) added
Drop-Down Menu #2 - a selection of tempo-synched Delays and delay-effects
MOD-WHA - flip this switch and you can use your keyboard’s Mod Wheel as a Wah-Wah pedal
ADSR - separate knobs for Attack, Decay, Sustain, and Release
WOBBLE - causes the pitch to fluctuate unpredictably, similar to old film or tape.
NOISE - adds authentically awful hum and crackle sampled from actual 1970s exportation films. Flip the switch to the right of the knob to turn on this “feature”, then dial in the amount of Noise you want to add.
DRUMS & PERCUSSION:
- 1960s Cliche Jungle Movie Drums & FX - very cliche and also politically incorrect
- 1960s Spaghetti Western Drums & Stuff - classic Cinecitta soundtrack drums & perc
- 1970s Junky Funk Kit - has that great 70s “muffled toms” sound
- 1970s Synth-Drum Kit 1 - the classic sound of a cheesy old drum machine
- 1970s Synth-Drum Kit 2 - more of the same, with tacky Syn-Drum-style toms
- Beatnik Coffee House Brushes Kit - a small cocktail kit played with brushes, ideal for that early 60s Beatnik vibe
- Beatnik Coffee House Sticks Kit- see above, but with sticks
- Hong Kong Gongs - a staple of 1970s Shaw Brothers film soundtracks
- Kung Fu Drums & Sticks - all-purpose cliche Asian-movie drums
- Lo-Fi Retro 70s Drum Kit- a good (or bad) kit for retro Rock or R&B
- Retro 60s Rock Kit - a truly bad-sounding drum kit
- Trashy Surf Rock Kit - perfect for your Surfer-movie or Biker -film soundtrack needs
HORNS & WINDS:
- Cliche Mariachi Trumpets in 3rds - Cliche and politically incorrect, all in one patch. In the key of C, but you can change keys using the Tune button on -the Kontact GUI.
- Grindhouse Growling Bari Sax - gritty and insane
- Grindhouse Growling Tenor sax - little brother of Grindhouse Bari. Also insane.
- Kung Fu Wood Flute - combine this with the Gu-Zheng for a super-cool cliche sound
- Prison Movie Harmonica: wouldn’t be prison without one of these
- Psychedelic Rock Flutter-Tongue Flute - straight from the 1970s. You need this.
- Psychedelic Rock Singing Flute - and this too.
- Retro-Bollywood Bansuri - don’t worry, it can pass as a bass shakuhachi too
- Spaghetti Western Mariachi Trumpet - classic kitch or cultural treasure? You decide.
- Spaghetti Western Ocarina - because you need an ocarina
- Spaghetti Western Pan Pipes - same reason as above
VOCALS, STRINGS & FX:
- 1970s Cheap Synth Strings - why use good-sounding strings when you have these?
- 1970s Cheesy String Machine Chord Synth - same concept as above, but with chords
- Cliche Asian-Cue Gu-Zheng - guaranteed 100% politically incorrect
- Grindhouse Soundtrack Clips 01 - recorded from Public Domain exploitation movie soundtracks. 100% kitchy and also 100% cool.
- Grindhouse Soundtrack Clips 02 - see above.
- Grindhouse Vocal Bits 01- recorded from Public Domain exploitation movie soundtracks. Unintentionally hilarious.
- Grindhouse Vocal Bits 02 - see above.
- Horror Movie Music Box - appropriately creepy, and ideal for those cliche “haunted baby’s room” scenes…
- Kung Fu Fighting SFX - 100% authentic fight sounds.
- Kung Fu Gu-Zheng - not politically incorrect unless you want it to be.
- Monster Movie Orchestra - ideal theme music for your favorite teenage-monster or imminent murder victim.
- Melodramatic Violin Section - suspenseful and very old-movie-ish. Play chromatically and amaze your friends.
- Misc Grindhouse FX - a grab-bag of semi-useful FX recorded from Public Domain exploitation films.
- Spaghetti Western Soprano - with apologies to Ennio Morricone.
- Spaghetti Western Whistling - it’s Good, Bad, and Ugly.
- Acid Trip Descending Synth - actual sound of a bad acid trip
- B-Movie Psychedelic Rock Organ - first of several cheesy organs in this product
- Blaxploitation Mutron E7 Clavinet - the very first auto-wha effect, available in a handy foot-pedal
- Blaxploitation RAT-Pedal E7 Clavinet - good funky or bad funky - you decide
- Chase Scene Synth Arp - run for your life - it’s the 70s
- Cheesy Step-Mod Synth - tacky but popular synth sound from long ago
- Cheezy Farfisa - the name says it all
- Dusty Rhodes - retrieved from a town dump so you know its got to be good
- Filthy Wurlitzer - see above
- Giallo Accordion 1 - bass and chords to the left, melody notes to the right, like a real accordion but not.
- Giallo Accordion 2 - one more accordion patch than you need.
- Giallo Accordion 3 - make that two.
- Horror Movie Pipe Organ Bass Pedals - popular old Horror film soundtrack cliche and Vincent Price theme song instrument of choice
- Horror Movie Pipe Organ - more cliche presets for your enjoyment
- Horror Movie Toy Piano - same idea as Horror Movie Music Box, but possibly even creepier
- Lo-Fi Action Synth Arp - recaptures the pre-pre-set era of bad synth programming
- Low Budget Scary Synth Bass - scary in more ways than one
- Low Budget Synth Lead - truly abominable
- Old Vox Continental Organ - thankfully, the last of the cheesy organ patches
- Sci-Fi Computer-FX Synth - what the first computers (and alien spaceships) really sounded like back in the 70s.
- Sci-Fi or Horror Movie Theremin - your choice of exploitation-genre usage.
- So-Seventies Synth Lead - dated and proud of it
- 60s Psychedelic Fuzz Electric Bass - bass through a fuzz box, the way it was intended to be played.
- Beatnik Coffee House Upright Bass - perfect for all your Beatnik needs.
- Dirty Surf-Rock Bass - perfect for your Surfing or Biker movie needs.
- Giallo Gangster Bass - #1 choice of vintage Italian-movie bad guys.
- Low Budget Rock Bass - just a bad-sounding bass, frankly.
- Super-Crappy Mutron Funk Bass - makes Low Budget Rock Bass sound good. But funky, in a “horribly recorded blaxploitation film soundtrack” kind of way.
- 60s Fuzz Lead Guitar - ready for your next “Manson family-like evil hippie cult” cue.
- 60s Trippy Hippy Guitar - a Summer of Love classic. Ideal for those 70s-style Free Love cues.
- Acid Trip Electric Sitar - guru-approved.
- Deconstructed Shafty Guitars - you too can create your own Shaft-style wah-wah guitar loops.
- Spaghetti Western Electric Guitar - what electric guitars used to sound like before hippies got their hands on them.
- Spaghetti Western Nylon String Guitar - possibly too good to be in this product, but…
- Super-Fly Mod-Wheel Wah Guitar - you always wanted to use your Mod Wheel as a wah-wah pedal.
- Vibrato Surf Guitar - 50+ years later, still a cool sound. Thanks, Pulp Fiction.
BIG FISH DOWNLOAD
This product is distributed by Big Fish Audio. After you purchase the product you will be provided with a serial number. Please visit the following url and enter the serial to download the product and get your Kontakt Player Codes.
Ancient ERA Persia
A collection of sounds from forgotten places of the middle eastView Product £184.00
A pocket sound-morph machine ready to become whatever you need.View Product £22.50
Big Fish Audio
An original instrument of textures suitable for all sorts of ambient musicView Product £150.59
Struck and Bowed Glass LibraryView Product £30.00 £21.00 YOU SAVE 30%
Recreation of the 70’s Korg PE-2000 analogue string ensemble synth.View Product £35.00
SAMPLE SLICER // BEAT MACHINE // REMIX TOOLView Product £60.00 £42.00 YOU SAVE 30%